Monday, November 24, 2008

Device Driver Utility

I decided to pull off my newly installed OpenSolaris hard disk into a more power machine (slightly - A Pentium 4 machine with 3 Ghz CPU and 1 GB of memory).
Well , expected the OpenSolaris booted up and running but it cannot detect the network card.

No worry , go to Application => System Tools and run the "Device Driver Utility". Right click on the network card and select "View Details" and it will show quite a lot of information but what I am really interested is the URL where I can download and install the network card driver (I guess I am lucky when the myk driver version 2.6.3 just release recently).


The URL link is : http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/ which is the website for free NIC drivers for Solaris. I hope this driver will be able to make it to the OpenSolaris package repositories or perhap it is already in there ?

I just download it and do the usual : make and make install but make sure you have a working C compiler installed. I am using the OpenSolaris package manager to install the Sun Studio Express (around ~200 MB) but i guess you can also use the GCC compiler.

It is all documented in the "Readme.txt".

(6) Making binaries only for OpenSolaris users.

The driver likely work with GLD v3 in OpenSolaris, known as Nemo.
You can enjoy the new functions by recompiling the source code.

% rm Makefile.config
% ln -s Makefile.config_gld3 Makefile.config
% /usr/ccs/bin/make


No comments: