Tuesday, November 18, 2008

OpenSolaris 2008.11(rc1)

The official releases is getting closer for OpenSolaris 2008.11 but I decided to give a try but running on a *very* old hardware : Dell PowerEdge 350. Luckily I managed to get extra 256MB to pump up the memory to 768MB. But the hard disk is dead. Really dead but I got an old IDE disk (Baraccuda) lying around somewhere.

All I can said , the installation is straightforward and I am impressed with the artwork or graphics. Really nice !

And here you go:

OpenSolaris 2008-11 desktop with Nimbus theme.



Things I like :
  • GUI such as icons and theme are really well done
  • Feel like Ubuntu (since I used Ubuntu since the beginning)
  • ZFS filesystem as default (sweet)
  • TimeSlider tool
  • Device Driver Utility
  • DTrace Toolkit (DTT)
Things I am missed :
  • No OpenOffice in default installation (for a desktop distribution).
  • No Tomboy. (Guess MONO will not be coming soon)
  • No GIMP
  • Package Manager not working (for me at least but command like to the rescue)
  • No F-Spot

No comments: